The NCC in India was formed with the National Cadet Corps Act of 1948. It was raised on 15 July 1948. The origin of NCC can be traced back to the ‘University Corps’, which was created under the Indian Defense Act 1917, with the objective to make up the shortage of the Army. In 1920, when the Indian Territorial Act was passed, the ‘University Corps’ was replaced by the University Training Corps (UTC). The aim was to raise the status of the UTC and make it more attractive to the youth. The UTC Officers and cadets dressed like the army. It was a significant step towards the Indianisation of armed forces. It was rechristened in the form of UOTC so the National Cadet Corps can be considered as a successor of the University Officers Training Corps (UOTC) which was established by the British Government in 1942.
In 1949, the Girls Division was raised in order to give equal opportunities to school and college going girls. The NCC was given an inter-service image in 1950 when the Air Wing was added, followed by the Naval Wing in 1952. Same year, the NCC curriculum was extended to include community development/social service activities as a part of the NCC syllabus at the behest of Late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru who took keen interest in the growth of the NCC. Following the 1962 Sino-Indian War, to meet the requirement of the Nation, the NCC training was made compulsory in 1963. In 1968, the Corps was again made voluntary.
The NCC program of the Maharaja’s College started with the university corps in 1917. Since 1948, Maharaja’s College 1/13 KAR Bn. NCC coy has been functioning very actively, fulfilling its aims and motto. Our motto is: Unity and Discipline.
The NCC of Maharaja’s College functions, keeping in mind the maxim: the Youth of today are our future citizens. It is vital that we channelize the energies of our youth and mould them in a worthy manner so that they earn for our nation a fair name as the largest democracy of the world.