Ancient History, Archaeology and Museology Department


Brief History of the Department

In the year 1950, the then Maharaja of  Mysore His highness Sri Jayachamaraja Wodeyar created an endowment chair in Indology and appointed Prof.H.N. Raghavendra Char, the retired Professor of Philosophy and also the ‘Dharmaadhikari’ of the Mysore Professor and Head of the Department of Indology.

In the year 1952, Professor K.A.Neelakanta Sastry was invited as head of the department and the ex-officio Director of Archaeology of Mysore State, served upto March 1956 and Dr.M.Sheshadri, Professor of History, succeeded him. In the year 1958, a full-fledged independent Department was formed.

The under-graduate and post-graduate departments of Indology combined at Maharaja’s College since their inception up to the year 1963. A separate department at Manasagangotri with other Post graduate departments our department also shifted to the new campus.

In the year 1968, to bring the uniformity with the sister departments, the name of the department was changed from the Department of Indology to Department of Ancient History and Archaeology. Illustrious professors of international repute like Prof. K.A, Nilakanta Shastri, Prof. M. Sheshadri, Prof. Shivalingiah, Prof. Gururajachar, Prof. Siddaraju, Prof. Ramaswamy served as the head of Departments.  In the year 1995-1996 the Department started a Vocational Course in Archaeology and Museology sponsored by The University Grants Commission. The Directorate of Archaeology and museums in Karnataka agreed to extend necessary cooperation in the academic program started by the Department.  

Click here for Department profile


Dr C.E. Lokesha

Assistant Professor and Head of the Department



Dr.Rohitha Eswer

Assistant Professor




Dr. Revanna

Guest Faculty




Dr. Jnanaprakash B.K

Guest faculty